Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Serenity Prayer for a Wired addiction

OK, so maybe I'm not an addict...wait a minute, that's just what addicts say. I need help...

Actually, I decided to power WAY down on internet time this past week or so. I was simply feeling a little too Wired. So, I took time off of facebook and didn't post a status update. And I decided to only post one blog for the week.

What would happen? Would I have curious people wondering what I was doing at that specific moment but unable to find out? Would some feel slighted that I didn't comment on their just posted picture of their creepy Uncle Festus? Would I be inundated with people asking for me to turn my status back on, to just eek out a word or two on my blog to get through another day? Would time as we know it stop?

No, no, no and no... I did receive a wallpost from a friend on facebook wondering if I was OK since I hadn't posted a status update. And that was pretty much it.

It seems that time actually continued to move forward, the earth continued to spin on it's axis and my facebook friends and blog reader(s) didn't skip a beat. And I actually felt a little more productive and fully engaged in other areas. Imagine that. So, if you are one of those people who feel a bit too wired right now, turn off your computer...it's ok...you can do it, and now do something unplugged, unwired and unpredictable. The internet will still be there when you turn your computer back on and the world will continue to spin while your off. And in the meantime, say this prayer...

God grant me the serenity
to accept that the world will still function if I go offline;
the courage to shut down my computer;
and the wisdom to know the difference between an internet "friend" and a real one.


Amen!