Monday, November 03, 2008

WWJD with Election 2008? (yes, I pulled out the WWJD)

Yes, the tired and worn out four letter question is asked again. A friend of mine just voted and asked me if he had done WWJD. It made me think a bit. I have tried hard to look at both sides in this election and try to allay fears and combat misinformation with truth. At the end of the day, I hope I was successful. But back to the question, What Would Jesus Do on election day?

First off, big surprise, I'm not Jesus. Now that I came clean with that one, here are some thoughts...

Jesus would pray.

No surprise here, but ask yourself this- "have I prayed about this election?" I have heard several pastors from the pulpit pray that God would have mercy on their country and let their guy win. But I'm thinking more along the lines of "Father, give me humility as I make this decision. Let me not vote out of tradition, manipulation, fear or selfish motivation. Your kingdom come, your will be done. Amen."

Jesus would vote.

And he would probably bring some friends along the way to share in the experience.

Jesus would rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn.

Emotions have been running high with this election. Whoever loses, there will always be those who take it very hard and some who will be so distraught they will mention moving to Canada (or an undisclosed bunker). Jesus would most likely lighten the mood and graciously remind them of a much greater entity than the United States...the kingdom of God.

Jesus would go on living life just like he had before.

God is never taken by surprise and he doesn't need elections or democracies or countries to have his will be done. Jesus would not be shaken by the outcome of an election and he would continue his mission that God gave him from the beginning (see Luke 4).

Just some thoughts on election eve. Now don't ask, DO!