Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another Right of Passage


I had never thought about what my parents were feeling when they said goodbye to me as I headed off for my first day of high school...until now.

Today I took my oldest to high school for the first time. I felt in many ways like I did when I first showed up at Colerain High School in 198...., a mixture of fear and excitement. I didn't anticipate as a parent that you relive many of your childhood moments as your kids are living them in real time (the good, the bad and the ugly).

And so three members of the Miller household find themselves at a new right of passage- going to high school and being a proud parent of a high schooler. I dropped her off in front of East High, watched her walk slowly up the sidewalk and open the big doors into another world. And as I drove away, I said a prayer.

UPDATE- She survived with only minor damage (2 blisters on her feet to be exact). Other than that, it was a good day.