Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What Would Jesus Read?

I was intrigued by a recent discussion that I had with a friend of mine who does not read fiction. And when I read many blog reading lists, I don't find a whole lot of fiction there either. A LOT of self-help stuff but not a lot of fiction.

I am a fan of fiction. Stacey has had a lot to do with me reading fiction, but I have grown to love it. Here's why...

1. Fiction fires up my imagination. And imagination has a big part in the creative process. Sharpen your imagination, sharpen your creativity.

2. Fiction is a stress reliever. My latest read was a warrior tale set around the time of the 100 year war. The detailed storytelling was a great chance to let my brain unwind into another far-away place.

3. Fiction can bend reality. Just like you wouldn't simply watch documentaries all the time, why should you only read non-fiction? Fiction can do things that defy the laws of nature.

4. Jesus did it. The Bible tells us that Jesus told stories all the time. And the ones recorded for us were most likely fictional ones. While all of them pointed to truth (non-fiction), he used fictional parables to point us there. Now did he read fiction? Hmmmmm...

Sometime soon I'll post some of my read fiction and non-fiction, if I can figure out how to do that on blogspot.